Jobs and Internships
National Council for Science and the Environment
The National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving environmental decision-making through science. As an impartial organization, NCSE is a trusted resource for policymakers, academia, the private and public sectors.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Officer will have both internal and external responsibilities as the lead on communications work for NCSE.
Responsibilities in direct consultation and coordination with the Executive Director, the Communications Officer will:
- Elevate, lead and maintain brand relevancy
- Develop, implement and maintain website content
- Develop, execute and maintain a social media strategy
- Provide communications support including materials to the NCSE membership team
- Provide all communications’ needs to the NCSE National Conference and Global Forum including marketing, social media and printed materials
- Lead communications for NCSE, its various programs and diverse stakeholders
- Candidate should have a minimum of 3 years experience in communications
- Must have demonstrated writing experience. Please submit a writing sample with your response; additional materials including graphic design welcomed.
- Bachelor's degree, or higher a plus
- Very strong communication skills including written and oral
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Creative thinker with work samples that demonstrate same
- Excellent computer skills including web coding, database management, social media and graphic design.
- Self starter with demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to collaborate effectively and collegially.
- Strong process orientation with sensitivity to quality
- Experience writing speeches and remarks a plus
$47,500 - $55,500, commensurate with qualifications and experience
Between August 1-September 6, 2016
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume and writing sample to [email protected] no later than 5 pm ET on August 1, 2016.
Additional materials including graphic design welcomed.
Position Title: Wildlife Biology Faculty
Company Name: Unity College
Location: Unity, ME 04988
Unity College is a private college in rural Maine that provides dedicated, engaged students with a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment, natural resources, and the emerging framework of Sustainability Science. The highly engaged student body, staff and faculty reflect a range of expertise characteristic of a liberal arts institution, and are united by their common interest in developing sustainable solutions to the pressing environmental problems of the 21st century. Recently named to the top 30 of the Washington Monthly college rankings and Princeton Review's Green Rating Honor Roll, Unity is rapidly becoming recognized as a national leader in Sustainability Science.
Unity College seeks an enterprising colleague to join our Wildlife Biology/Wildlife and Fisheries Management faculty for fall of 2016. The successful applicant will engage in teaching and advising undergraduate students, scholarly research, and service to the college mission, which emphasizes sustainability science. Faculty are expected to involve undergraduates in research activities. We are searching for a broadly-trained wildlife or fisheries biologist with skills and knowledge that enhance the ability of program faculty to offer multiple introductory and advanced courses within the Wildlife programs. Desired specialties include human dimensions of wildlife, urban wildlife management, or aquatic or terrestrial game management.
Required functions include:
- Teaching introductory and advanced classes in the Wildlife and Fisheries Management and Wildlife Biology programs.
- Advising and mentoring students seeking careers in the wildlife and fisheries fields.
- Providing opportunities for undergraduate research through existing or newly developed projects.
- Developing and/or maintaining partnerships with outside entities to benefit the wildlife programs and provide a range of opportunities for students.
- Teaching courses from outside the above programs as appropriate, and contribute to our Environmental Citizen general education curriculum and engage in transdisciplinary teaching with their colleagues.
- The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Terminal degree in fisheries or wildlife biology/management or closely related field of study.
- Field experience in fisheries or wildlife research or management
- Experience working for/with state or federal management agencies
- Demonstrated ability teaching in a college environment
- Specialty knowledge of human dimensions of wildlife, urban wildlife management, or game management.
Experiential Education: Unity is an environmentally focused academic community committed to sustainability science education that includes service-learning and field, project and community-based educational experiences. Student research, internships, field courses, independent studies and co-curricular programming all contribute to the hands on/minds on teaching and learning atmosphere at Unity College. From our new colleagues we expect exceptional teaching and visionary curricular thinking. In addition, faculty are expected to mentor students, engage with community, pursue scholarship and share in governance.
General Information: This is a salaried, 9-month academic year position subject to regular evaluation and renewal and eligible for the following benefits: medical; dental; employer-paid STD, LTD, Life; flexible benefits plan offering medical and dependent care reimbursement accounts; voluntary life insurance; faculty medical leave, 403(b) retirement plan. Teaching workload for faculty is up to 21 credits per year.
Review of applications will begin March 7, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled. It is our desire to have a new colleague hired for Fall 2016. Applicants must submit the following documents electronically through Interview Exchange:
1. Letter of interest,
2. Curriculum vitae or Resume,
3. Statement of teaching philosophy
4. Employment Application
5. Names and contact information for three references.
Contact Unity College Human Resources with any questions about this position or the application process.